By Joanna Lee, Modern Mix Vancouver writer The Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival is an annual event that attracts some of the largest players and international vintners in the industry. …
Every January for 18 years, Liberty Wine Merchants hosts a fundraising event to start the bar high for the new year. Liberty is once again recruiting British Columbia’s finest food …
The Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival, Canada’s premier wine show, runs from April 19 to 25, 2010. The Playhouse Wine Festival is one of the biggest and oldest wine festival events in the world. The featured theme regions for 2010 will be Argentina and New Zealand with the global focus of rosé. The festival features a week of special events including a gala auction, wine seminars, wine minglers, winery dinners, lunches and brunches at fine restaurants and hotels. To purchase tickets online, click here.
George Ultra Lounge is the Godfather of Vancouver’s cocktail culture. Modeled in the London style, George pioneered the cocktail kitchen concept in Canada when it opened in 2005. Today, with award-winning Shaun Layton behind the bar, George continues to pour proper classic and market-fresh cocktails, complimented by a dinner and late night menu through 2 a.m
George Ultra Lounge (1137 Hamilton Street) is taking a page from the Vancouver 2010 Olympics and holding their own “Mixlympics”, a competition featuring ten bartenders (6 international, 4 local) competing head-to-head in a black box style event. Sponsored by Martin Miller’s Gin & Arc’teryx, these masters of mixology will be vying for the top prize – $500 cash provided by Martin Miller’s Gin, but there will be medals too. Gold, silver and bronze, just like the athletes competing in Vancouver and Whistler. The event is free and open to the public. Doors open at 12:00 pm but it might be best to get in line a little bit earlier.
The international contestants are:
- Joe Stokoe – Bar Manager for all three All Star Lanes, London, UK
- Abdul Kpekawa – Bartender, All Star Lanes, London, UK
- David Grieg – Bartender, All Star Lanes, London, UK
- Ola Carlson – Bartender, Box 101, Stockholm, Sweden
- Nicolos de Soto, Bartender, Experimental Cocktail Club & Curio Parlour, Paris, France
- Charles Tan – Bartender, China Club, Paris, France.
Representing Canada will be:
- Mark Brand – Owner, Boneta and The Diamond, Vancouver
- David Wolwidnyk – Bar Manager, West, Vancouver
- Jay Jones – Owner, The Pourhouse, Vancouver
- Darryl Macdonald – Bartender, Port, Toronto