By Kenneth Law
Starting this Friday May 29th, Roden Gray (231 Cambie Street) is the location for the launch party of h(y)r collective magazine’s new collaboration featuring designers such as Gitman Bros. and Common Projects. Stop by the shop from 7pm onwards to check out some of the new collection pieces while grabbing some free drinks and food; the event runs into Saturday as well. Roden Gray is a menswear boutique on the corner of Cambie and Water St., carrying lines such as APC, Wings + Horns, 3.1 Philip Lim and Band of Outsiders.
- Clients are invited to bring a friend (as their model) and dress them (“style them”) in Holt Renfrew contemporary fashions.
- Once the customer is dressed up they are walked over to the FASHION magazine cover photo board where they will get their photo taken in a “live photo shoot!”
- The customer will receive their photo in a contemporary Saturday photo card and a copy of the photo will be posted on the photo board.
FASHION magazine representatives will be on hand to observe the styling and hand out magazines to our clients. At the end of the day the editor of FASHION magazine will choose the winning look. The winner will be contacted on Monday June 1st for a prize of $500.00 in a Holt Renfrew Electronic Gift Card.
The Seventh Annual EAT! Vancouver Food & Cooking Festival (2009) is coming back to BC Place Stadium this weekend on May 22 to 24. I went to this two years ago and thought of it as a “food convention”. There were booths set up all around BC Place, with food samples everywhere and products available for purchase. There was also a 19+ section for wine and liquor tasting. This is a good event to visit if you are a foodie, but keep in mind that it is a cooking festival (with a focus on recipes and ingredients) rather than a dining event.
Celebrity chefs, popular local restaurants, wineries, food and beverage manufacturers, cookbook authors, retailers, artisans, and many others from the culinary world will come together for a three day public extravaganza. EAT Vancouver encompasses unique food experiences, opportunities to learn behind-the-scenes culinary magic from professional chefs, dynamic entertainment through celebrity chef cooking demonstrations and intense culinary competitions, diverse food, beverage and cooking related exhibits; and of course fantastic shopping opportunities.
Tickets are $15 but purchase them beforehand on the EAT! Vancouver Website to save $3. There is no additional GST or service charges for purchasing online!
For those of you who were at Modern Mix Vancouver’s One-Year Anniversary & Reader Appreciation Party, you probably had a taste of delicious chocolates and pâtisseries which were generously sponsored by Ganache Pâtisserie (1262 Homer Street) in Yaletown. Prices are about $5 to $6 per serving, but are rich enough to share between two people and there are a limited number of seats at Ganche for you to eat your dessert there! If you are craving some sweet desserts, now would be a good time to drop by Ganache as they just recently announced their newest creations for their spring 2009 menu:
- Fresh and light, Framboise et Pêche ($5.75) encases a creamy peach crème brûlée and fresh raspberries with an airy raspberry parfait mousse and wild flower honey graham cracker base.
- With inspiration from a past favorite, Rose et Pamplemousse, arises Yuzu Pistache ($5.75) which layers a nutty pistachio dacquoise and pistachio sponge with a light vanilla yuzu parfait and middle layers of aloe-kiwi gelée and rose water panna cotta.
- With a decorative almond biscuit on top, Abricot et Earl Grey ($5.75) spreads a fragrant Earl Grey mousseline studded with brandy soaked apricots over a salted caramel ganache and almond dacquoise base.
- For hazelnut lovers, Mille Feuille Praliné ($5.50) takes the classic dessert with its flaky puff pastry layers and inserts a rich coffee praliné mousseline folded with crunchy hazelnut nougatine, and a layer of praline crunch.
- A modern view of a classic gâteau, Forêt Noir ($5.50) combines Kirsch syrup soaked moist chocolate cake and griottine cherries with alternate layers of vanilla and chocolate chantilly cream.
Also, on Saturday May 23rd, 2009, everyone is invited to Ganche in Yaletown location for their official launch of the Spring 2009 menu. Throughout the day, there will be samples of their new spring desserts, draws for doorprizes and more.
1016 W. Georgia Street Vancouver, BC
May 19, 2009 | 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Starbucks Shared Planet and Zipcar share a commitment to doing business in ways that are good to the earth and to each other. On Tuesday May 19th, please stop by either of the stores listed above in Toronto or Vancouver to enjoy an evening filled with complimentary Pike Place Roast, information about Starbucks, Shared Planet, delicious Starbucks pastries and an exclusive offer from Zipcar.
Our on-site coffee masters will take you through a detailed coffee tasting showcasing our Shared Planet coffee, Pike Place Roast. And the first 150 people who drop by will receive a complimentary Starbucks tumbler to use the night of the party and for all future visits to Starbucks.
…presented in a historically comprehensive way that outlines the rise of the Dutch Republic’s political, economic, and cultural prominence.