July is “Meet My Market” Month at BC Farmers’ Markets
This July, friends all over BC are heading to their local farmers’ market to celebrate Meet My Market Month! With a chance to win (one of two!) three night getaways (+ wine touring) to the Okanagan’s beautiful Sparkling Hill resort, it’s clear this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship with your local BC farmers’ market.
Top 5 Reasons to Bring a Friend to Your Local BC Farmers’ Market:
- The eats. BC boasts an amazing array of locally grown food, and it’s all at the market. Whether you’re looking for a sweet fix of blueberries, local gelato, tender cuts of meat, or home grown tomatoes, the farmers’ market is a great place for fresh, quality local food.
- Meet your maker, along with your market. Surprise: the farmers’ market is run by… actual farmers! “Farmers’ markets are pretty much a second home for me,” says Rachelle Zelaney, farmer and owner of Zelaney Farms in Vernon, BC. “My family has been growing food for the Vernon community and selling at our local markets for more than 25 years. We’re very excited to meet some new faces at our booth during Meet My Market Month in July!”
- The price. People who regularly load up on local food at the farmers’ markets know the farmers’ market is an affordable (and wonderful) way to buy local…without making your savings go south.
- Making memories: BC’s farmers’ markets are the perfect place to bond with someone special. Enjoy the festive atmosphere (there’s often live music!), sample different foods and consider the market a sight-seeing activity in your own backyard!
- Easy access. Across the province, more than 125 farmers’ markets offer an abundance of locally grown food and locally made goods. They foster community fun including musical entertainment, children’s activities, cooking classes, artisan workshops and a gathering place for neighbourhoods.
During Meet My Market Month you could win a resort getaway just for taking a friend along on your next market visit.
Here’s how it works: Meet My Market Month kicks off on July 1 and runs until July 31, 2015. Throughout the month, anyone in BC can participate by bringing a friend to their local market. People can enter the grand prize giveaway in one of two ways:
- In person: bring a friend to your favourite BC farmers’ market, head to the market info booth and fill out a ballot! Check out participating markets on the website.
- Via social media: simply snap a photo at your favourite BC farmers’ market with your purchase and post it on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, tagging @bcfarmersmarket and add #MeetMyMarket to enter.
All entries will be automatically entered to win one of two grand prizes: A three-night getaway (+ wine touring) for two to Sparkling Hill Resort in the Okanagan. Social media entrants will also be eligible to win one of five weekly random prize draws for $50 to spend at the farmers’ market of their choice.
So what are you waiting for? Get friendly with your local market, and bring a friend to #MeetMyMarket.