Taste of Yaletown Premiere
Modern Mix Vancouver was invited to the kick off event for Taste of Yaletown where we got to sample the food offerings from restaurants who will be participating in Taste of Yaletown. Here were some highlights from the night:
- Minami – Minami’s Taste of Yaletown menu features their specialty Aburi sushi with hamachi, ebi salmon oshi and saba oshi. The hamachi is flame-seared and partly grilled and partly raw, and best paired with Junmai nigori sake. Seasonal and regional ingredients are integrated into their dishes, reflecting their overall commitment to sustainable food choices.
- Society Dining Lounge – Society features a $25 menu with mac poutine and veal scallopini; however, one must not skip out on dessert. Society’s popular cherry cotton candy cheesecake is baked in a bain marie for 90 minutes before serving and topped with pretty pink cotton candy spun in-house.
- George Ultra Lounge – While George is known in Vancouver for their creative cocktails and vibrant scene, we were impressed by their crispy duck confit with smoked butternut squash and potato puree, complemented by truffled brussel sprouts.
- Yaletown L’Antipasto – This is the restaurant’s first year participating in the event, offering both a $25 and $35 menu. Start off with a pot of manilla clams prepared in traditional Mediterranean style with white wine and garlic, followed by risotto with Porcini mushrooms, and finished with an affogato – Italy’s popular dessert where a shot of espresso is served over gelato.
- Cache Bistro & Lounge – This is also the restaurant’s first year participating in Taste of Yaletown, coming in strong to offer a $35 menu with additional wine pairings. The French-Asian restaurant is featuring a duck confit charlotte with wild mushrooms and blueberry duck demi and Paris-Brest – a traditional and delightful praline-flavoured puff-pastry dessert delicately prepared and baked to perfection (paired with a macadamia nut liqueur taster).
Taste of Yaletown runs from October 17 to October 27 and features more than 20 of Yaletown’s best restaurants, including Brix Restaurant, Hapa Izakaya, Provence Marinaside, Raw Canvas, and Urban Thai Bistro. A portion of proceeds will be donated to the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society. For a list of participating restaurants and menus, visit yaletowninfo.com.