By Carolyn Fung, Modern Mix Vancouver writer
The West 4th shopping district in Kitsilano has consistently been one of our favourite neighbourhoods in Vancouver for its outdoor shopping, one of a kind specialty and lifestyle shops and local finds. Over the past nine months, the shops on West 4th have undergone some major changes including the addition of 28 new retailers and restaurants. Modern Mix Vancouver recently had the opportunity to meet some of the business owners who make up the shops on West 4th including key members of the West 4th Business Association.
This local not for profit organization is responsible for the advocacy, marketing & promotion, business development, cleaning & maintenance, safety and security of West 4th. Over the past decade, the West 4th Business Association have been behind key events that the neighborhood has come to love including promotions for shopping events including “Fashion’s First Night” and “Eat Shop Love”.
The efforts of the West 4th Business Association have attracted major retailers such as Urban Outfitters and boutique clothing stores like Kate French and XO Bella to open shops in the area. In the world of food and drink, this past year has brought West 4th the resurrection of The Bimini Public House, the 4th location of Burgoo, and Culprit Coffee. With so much to look forward to, here are some new highlights on West 4th that you won’t want to miss:
- 05 Rare Tea Bar – This is the first location for owner, Pedro whose love for tea is infectious. This beautiful location draws attention from their open space and big windows but there is no need to be intimated. Stop in and learn about a rare tea, or bring some friends for a relaxing night out. Either way, this newest retailer to West 4th is not to be missed.
- Fable Restaurant – advocating the fresh concept of “from farm to table”, Fable sources local ingredients for its menu items. The restaurant’s open kitchen concept allows the Fable team to interact with guests while showcasing their talents.
- Miz Mooz: This global shoe retailer has its one and only stand-alone location in Canada on West 4th Avenue. Pretty special considering this shoe brand is coveted in New York and retailers across the country. With this convenient location, visitors and residents of West 4th get to access the latest and greatest from this growing shoe brand.
- Bombay Brow: This is the third location for this local business offering residents of West 4th the best in brow service. You can expect to find a dedicated team of professionals who are going to give you the best brow service this town has got to offer.
- Beauty Bar: A city girl’s dream, this boutique is filled with the most beautiful smelling candles, cosmetics, and brands. Being in the store emulates the experience of being in treasure box. It’s the perfect place to try out an uncommon beauty brand or to pick up a gift for a friend.
- Burgoo: The newest location of Burgoo brings to West 4th the ultimate in comfort food. With a covered patio and cozy interior for those rainy winter days Burgoo has quickly become a favorite for local residents.
- Ayoub’s: This soon-to-be-opened dried fruits and nuts store will have a Middle Eastern influence like its other shops on Denman Street and North Vancouver. Go nuts at Ayoub’s!
- YYoga: The newest location of YYoga took only a few months to fill. With a long list of classes that are frequently jam packed make sure you sign up on online to to save your spot. This latest location has a covered patio outdoors, lounge area and snack bar all welcome compliments to the YYoga experience.
For the latest news on Kitsilano’s West 4th Avenue, visit their website at shopwest4th.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/ShopWest4 or on Twitter at @ShopWest4th. Over the next few weeks we’ll be featuring more of these Shop West 4th retailers and bring you the latest scoop. Stay tuned!
MMV Giveaway: Modern Mix Vancouver is giving away a one-month unlimited pass to the newest location of YYoga in Kitsilano (1915 West 4th Ave) which includes unlimited classes, mat and towel service and infrared sauna use. To enter, please “LIKE” the MMV Facebook Page here and ALSO leave a comment below with the name of any yoga position. A random winner will be chosen from the comments below. Be sure to leave your email address so we can contact you if you’re a winner. Pass is only valid at the Kitsilano location of YYoga. Giveaway ends Sunday, October 28th (11:59pm PST).
- For an additional entry: Follow @ModernMixVan on Twitter and tweet “I want to win from @ModernMixVan a 1-month unlimited pass to @YYoga in #Kitsilano! [bit.ly/MMVxYYogaGiveaway] RT to enter!”