I just found my new favourite dog-friendly summer hike experience: Pitt Lake to Widgeon Falls. This canoe and hike combo takes you from Pitt Lake in Pitt Meadows to Widgeon Falls, a glacial waterfall that’s only accessible to the public by water.
Pitt Lake is about a
The business-minded side of me thinks Pitt Lake Canoe Adventures should expand their canoe-rental service, but, my friend pointed out that the rental capacity allows the hike only to be accessed by limited by people. Worst case scenario, if you don’t arrive in time for a canoe, you can easily spend the morning hanging out at Pitt Lake until a canoe rental returns.
We rented two canoes; myself, my boyfriend, and my dog Teddy Bear in one canoe, and our three friends in the other. The paddle to the Widgeon Falls trailhead was a smooth and leisurely paddle. We were going at a slow and leisurely
It took us about an hour and a half to paddle to the Widgeon Falls
The hike to Widgeon Falls is 3km each way with minimal elevation gain. If you can do Quarry Rock in Deep Cove, you’ll find this hike even easier!
We arrived at the falls around
We left Widgeon Falls at around 3pm, packed up our canoes, and arrived back at Pitt Lake at around 5:30pm.
Our day ended with a BBQ at Pitt Lake. Knowing that we were planning to have a BBQ dinner at Pitt Lake, we had left all our BBQ equipment and a cooler full of food in our vehicles.
This was such a fun summer
Best Tips for the Pitt Lake to Widgeon Falls Daytrip Experience
- If you’re renting a canoe, aim to arrive at Pitt Lake Canoe Rentals before
- Bring cash. It’s $80/canoe plus a $50 deposit.
- Don’t tie your dog’s leash to the canoe while you’re paddling. In the unlikely case that you flip, you don’t want your dog attached to the canoe.
- When you park your canoe at the Widgeon Falls trailhead, don’t leave any valuables in your canoe.
- Also, don’t leave food in your canoe. It may attract wildlife.
- Bears have been spotted, keep your dog on a leash at all times while hiking.
- Wear flipflops for the canoe ride, but don’t forget to pack runners for the hiking portion of the trip.
- Pack snacks for your canoe ride and
a lunchfor Widgeon Falls.
- Bring beer. Everyone was drinking in their canoes, at the falls, at the campsite, etc.
- If you want to BBQ back at Pitt Lake for dinner, bring your own BBQ stove and other equipment. Keep your dinner food in a cooler in your car, you can get it after your return to Pitt Lake.