Fall brings with it cloudy skies and cooler air, but it’s also an excuse to warm up by indulging in delicious comfort food. Vancouver foodies will have a chance to sample some of the city’s best cold weather cuisine at the Vancouver Aquarium’s annual Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown at the Vancouver Aquarium.
On November 18, beginning at 7pm, 14 top Vancouver chefs will go head to head, vying to have their original, sustainable chowder creation crowned 2015 Ocean Wise Chowder Champion. Event attendees will have their say too by casting a ballot to crown the People’s Choice award winner. The mouthwatering Ocean Wise chowders will be paired with refreshing, local craft beer.
“This annual event brings together Vancouver’s culinary heavyweights and seafood lovers, united by their support for sustainable seafood. What began with a small group of partners [10 years ago] has now expanded across the country, and we continue to see incredible momentum in the sustainability movement. Overfishing is the biggest issue our oceans are facing and through participation in events like this the Vancouver community helps to generate awareness, continue the dialogue around seafood sustainability and do their part to spread the message.” – Ann-Marie Copping, Ocean Wise program manager.
Participating Restaurants in the 2015 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown
- ARC at the Fairmont Waterfront – Chef Alessandro Vianello
- Bao Down – Chef Greg Edwards
- Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar – Chef Roger Ma
- Codfathers – Chef Ross Derrick
- Earls Test Kitchen – Chef David Wong
- Fetch Restaurant at the Black Rock Resort – Chef Ceri Wackett
- Fukasaku of Prince Rupert – Chef Daisuke Fukasaku
- Glowbal – Chef Ryan Gauthier
- Hart House Restaurant – Chef Mike Genest
- Mosaic Grill at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver – Chef Jeff Szombaty
- Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts – Chef Ben Kiely
- Prestons Restaurant + Lounge – Chef Shelley Robinson
- Showcase Restaurant at the Downtown Marriott – Chef Frank Gort
- Vancouver Aquarium – Chefs Melissa Blomly, Natasha Blomly and Tim Bedford
Tickets to this 19+ event can be purchased online for $63 here. All proceeds will directly support Ocean Wise, a Vancouver Aquarium conservation program created to educate and empower consumers about the issues surrounding sustainable seafood.