Good news for taco fans: Tacofino will soon be opening a flagship Taco Bar in a restored heritage space in Gastown, scheduled to open in January 2015.
First opened in Tofino in 2009 by Kaeli Robinsong and Jason Sussman, this fresh Mexican cuisine brand now encompasses four food trucks, three restaurants, a loyal following and a lineup of Ocean Wise-approved, antibiotic and hormone free products. Vancouverites, however, will best associate Tacofino with the eye-catching turquoise blue and orange food cart stationed in downtown Vancouver.
Soon to be opened in Blood Alley Square on the site of former Gastown landmark Pig & Whistle, the Taco Bar will boast 3,000 square feet of space, a heritage brick façade and interior as well as a 420-square foot patio.
“This is definitely an exciting new chapter in our ongoing story. We’re looking forward to showcasing our new space and unveiling an expanded menu that will offer Tacofino favourites alongside some new and imaginative dishes and share plates.” -Kaeli Robinsong and Jason Sussman, Tacofino Co-founders
The design will encompass the laid-back elements of beach retreats like Tofino, Baja and SoCal to the new space, using light wood, tiles the shade of sand with splashes of green, and handmade lights to invoke an authentic air of sun, sand and surf throughout the restaurant.
The new space is best described as two restaurants in one: the main entrance opens on to an 80-seat dining room and lounge with an expansive 20-seat bar featuring tequila- and mezcal-forward cocktails, eight taps with a selection of local beers and Mexican and import beer available by the bottle and can, while a separate entrance at 15 West Cordova preserves the spirit of the iconic Tacofino food trucks by offering grab-and-go burritos and tacos.
Some dishes to look forward to:
- Fish Taco – tempura ling cod, chipotle mayo, cabbage, salsa fresca, flour tortilla ($5).
- Fish Burrito – tempura ling cod, chipotle mayo, rice, black beans, cabbage, chipotle mayo, salsa fresca, flour tortilla ($10);
- Crispy Chicken Burrito – chicken karaage, rice, black chili mayo, sriracha, cabbage, cilantro, flour tortilla ($11);
- Chorizo Burrito – house-made pork chorizo, rice, black beans, cheese, sour cream, arugula, flour tortilla ($11);
- Vegetarian Burrito – rice, black beans, cheese, sour cream, chipotle mayo, cabbage, salsa fresca, flour tortilla ($10);
- Vegan Burrito – rice, black beans, guacamole, salsa fresca, flour tortilla ($10);
- Chocolate Diablo Cookie ($3).