Modern Mix Vancouver was recently flown to Toronto to participate in a Dodge Canada promotion. Myself, Lauren from Lauren Out Loud and Reggie of Reggie Ramone were driven around in a new …
George Ultra Lounge is the Godfather of Vancouver’s cocktail culture. Modeled in the London style, George pioneered the cocktail kitchen concept in Canada when it opened in 2005. Today, with award-winning Shaun Layton behind the bar, George continues to pour proper classic and market-fresh cocktails, complimented by a dinner and late night menu through 2 a.m
George Ultra Lounge (1137 Hamilton Street) is taking a page from the Vancouver 2010 Olympics and holding their own “Mixlympics”, a competition featuring ten bartenders (6 international, 4 local) competing head-to-head in a black box style event. Sponsored by Martin Miller’s Gin & Arc’teryx, these masters of mixology will be vying for the top prize – $500 cash provided by Martin Miller’s Gin, but there will be medals too. Gold, silver and bronze, just like the athletes competing in Vancouver and Whistler. The event is free and open to the public. Doors open at 12:00 pm but it might be best to get in line a little bit earlier.
The international contestants are:
- Joe Stokoe – Bar Manager for all three All Star Lanes, London, UK
- Abdul Kpekawa – Bartender, All Star Lanes, London, UK
- David Grieg – Bartender, All Star Lanes, London, UK
- Ola Carlson – Bartender, Box 101, Stockholm, Sweden
- Nicolos de Soto, Bartender, Experimental Cocktail Club & Curio Parlour, Paris, France
- Charles Tan – Bartender, China Club, Paris, France.
Representing Canada will be:
- Mark Brand – Owner, Boneta and The Diamond, Vancouver
- David Wolwidnyk – Bar Manager, West, Vancouver
- Jay Jones – Owner, The Pourhouse, Vancouver
- Darryl Macdonald – Bartender, Port, Toronto